Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Potty Trained :)

I can’t believe I forgot to post about Reece being potty trained!! Has been for a little over a month! This is definitely something that I feel like I can give advice about since I’ve done it THREE times :) I/We had to learn the hard way so if I can type this little post and help someone else then YAY, maybe you won’t be as stressed as I was the first time around!

First things first, if your child’s not ready, it ain’t gonna happen! Plain and simple. No matter what you do! Start them out at a young age by letting them come to the bathroom with you, that way they have some sense of what’s going on!

Then, once your child is showing signs that he or she is ready, jump in head first and don’t look back. Stick them in REAL underwear…get some cute ones that they’ll love…ditch the pull-ups or better yet don’t ever use the pull-ups! Nighttime is an exception. Get them to the potty pretty often for a few days, even if they say they don’t need to go. I put Reece on the potty every 30 minutes until she peed and that worked well for her. EVERY CHILD IS DIFFERENT! Going “#2” on the potty usually takes a little bit longer, but if you pay close attention and catch them before they go in their underwear and get them to the potty, you can usually get that under control fast!

You have to be SURE that whoever your child stays with during the day is on the same page that you are…if they are putting the child in diapers or you are putting them in diapers at home it could be a huge disaster and prolong the potty training. Not fun.

If your child has ADHD…it could also take longer because they have other things on the brain and don’t have time to potty. Ahem, Griffin.

The less stressed you are about it, the easier it will be. TRUST ME!

That’s all I have for now. I will say that now that Reece is diaper free and pretty self sufficient, it makes me wonder if I realllly want to start all over. Not that we won’t, I’m just sayin’.

xoxo,

1 comment :

Cherry Berry said...

Yay! I don't mind changing diapers, but I do look forward to the day Grace is potty trained. I think I'm going to try again soon. She has done it twice, but I think it's because I took her to the bathroom AS SOON as she woke up in the morning. But other times, she just wants to take the potty apart and try to stand in it... She thinks it is a toy. But she always goes to the bathroom with me. I tell her "Listen! Mommy is pee peeing!"
Maybe my day will come soon... Haha!